Wednesday, June 6, 2007

feeding frenzy: chicken




This week's dot-luck was a total feeding frenzy! And it was really fun. I made chicken, other people made other stuff (more posts to come).

As many of you know, I love roasting chickens. usually I just stuff the cavity with carrots, celery and onion, and rub the skin with s&p, but here I stuffed the cavity full of chives, thyme, pepper, salt, and one whole lemon cut in chunks. Then I rubbed the skin with crushed peppercorns, chopped lemon zest, and salt. It was really moist and tasty, but the lemon was much more subtle than I had envisioned.

2 comments:

SPL said...

could you include more details?! time in oven, temperature, etc. love the blog, though i don't know you personally!

I'm MaryCat said...

Hi Sarah,

I'm glad you like the blog!

I preheat the oven to 375-400. right now I am in need of a decent roasting pan, so I used the casserole dish you see in the picture. I leave the chicken in for about an hour, and try to tilt the dish and spoon the juices over the top a few times during the cooking. Also, about 10 minutes before it came out I put a few slivers of butter on top of the bird and knocked the heat up about 15 degrees to make a tasty skin.

I read that when you pull the leg and the joins starts to separate easily and naturally, the chicken is ready. I don't really have a tried and true method, but I always pull it out and let it set for 10 minutes to contine cooking out of the oven, and keep the meat moist. If you don't let the meat "rest" this way, the juices all come spurting out when you cut into the meat, instead of being retained within it.