Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Thank you, Miss Grandy






Dear Readers,

It has been busy in these parts, but that's no excuse. I fear I have left you on the edge of your seats, waiting for the milk tasting verdict. Perch no more! It is amazing. We got to the farm right as Terri, the farmer, had sold her last jugs of milk. So we got to go with her to milk Grandy! Terri had us pull on some plastic boot things to protect our pants and shoes, and we followed her around to the milk room to get the milking equipment, and into the barn where the cow was waiting. She took several steps to clean the udders, and then hooked the cow up to a suction machine that pulses, like a calf drinking. Terri stood by Grandy and scratched her back during the milking. Then she unhooked the machine, cleaned her udders again and rubbed them with bag balm. Terri poured the milk into jugs for us and that was that. Warm and delicious!

She has 4 cows that are milked for raw milk sales (the other three are pictured above). They eat all certified organic hay, are pastured on the non-winter months, and are very, very sweet. The rest of her milk goes to Garelick Farms. Terri said you can train a cow to fit your schedule. She gets out of bed around 7, and milks until about 10:30 most days.

I have lots more to say about this. I didn't want to make Terri uncomfortable by taking too many pictures, but I plan on going back basically every Saturday.

The milk is very clean, fresh, and crisp tasting. It is not as heavy as I expected, and is bright white. It tastes like the best whole milk ever, but lighter somehow. It has a shelf life of about 2 weeks, then it sours to buttermilk.

1 comment:

Emily Render said...

I love your pictures. Especially the one of the glass of milk. Nice tablecloth.